Mehmet Munur is a Partner at Tsibouris & Associates, LLC. He concentrates his practice in the areas of technology law, data privacy and security, and financial services.
Mehmet also advises clients on privacy issues, laws, and regulation on the state, federal, and international level. More specifically, he advises clients on issues relating to the FTC Act, GLBA, CAN-SPAM, FCRA, FACTA, HIPAA and HITECH regulations, and U.S. Department of Commerce Safe Harbor certification and compliance. Mehmet also has in-depth experience with international privacy laws. He advises clients on all international privacy and data protection issues, including privacy laws in the Asia-Pacific, Canada, South America, and Europe. Mehmet has extensive experience with building and maintaining enterprise-wide privacy and compliance programs. He also advises clients on specific issues relating to cross-border data flows and effects of new technologies on privacy and data protection compliance.
Mehmet advises clients with a wide-range of legal issues relating to information security, including, incident response, data breach notification, National Security Letters and other governmental requests for information. Mehmet also advises clients with issues relating to financial services regulation, including banking, payments, student lending, electronic money, card association regulations, and others.
Mehmet graduated from Capital University law school (J.D., magna cum laude) and is admitted to the Ohio bar. He also graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University (B.A. cum laude). While in law school, Mehmet was the Executive Research Editor for the Capital University Law Review and participated in moot court. He was published in both the Law Review and the Capital University Corporate and Business Law Association Journal. Mehmet completed a judicial externship with Honorable George C. Smith at the U.S. District Court at the Southern District of Ohio and clerked with Tsibouris & Associates for over a year before joining the law firm.
Mehmet is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP). He is also a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP). Mehmet has presented on privacy and security issues with various trade associations.
Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio; JD, magna cum laude 2008; Executive Research Editor, Capital University Law Review.
Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio; BA, cum laude 2003, Economics and Political Science.
Judicial Extern to the Honorable George C. Smith, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio (Spring 2007).
- March 2015 Central Ohio InfoSec Summit "Data Breaches Lawyer's Perspective for 2015" Presented by Dino Tsibouris and Mehmet Munur (Columbus, OH)
- October 2014 Information Security Summit "Regulated Data in the Cloud: Contracting, Management, and Security Breaches" Presented by Dino Tsibouris, Matthew Mrkobrad, and Mehmet Munur (Cleveland, OH)
- May 2013 Central Ohio InfoSec Summit "Final HIPAA-HITECH Rules, Cybersecurity, and Privacy" Presented by Dino Tsibouris and Mehmet Munur (Columbus, OH)
- October 2012 Columbus IAPP KnowledgeNet "International Privacy Challenges Affecting U.S. Companies Operating in Canada, Europe, and Beyond" Presented by Dorene Stupski, Mitchell Merowitz, and Mehmet Munur (Columbus, Ohio)
- July 2012 Willis Cyber Risk Seminar "Managing Cyber Risk Through Insurance and Vendor Contracts" Presented by Dino Tsibouris, Tom Srail, and Mehmet Munur (Columbus, Ohio)
- October 2011 ISSA Social Media Summit "Social Media and Legal Risk" Presented by Dino Tsibouris and Mehmet Munur (Columbus, OH)
- October 2010 Echolon One Executive Summit "Creating Policies that Protect Information from Privacy and Security Threats" Presented by Mehmet Munur (Columbus, OH)
- May 2010 "Information Security: Changes in the Law, Cost, and Complexity of Responding to Breaches & Electronic Discovery: Litigation Holds and More" Presented by Dino Tsibouris and Mehmet Munur (Columbus, OH)
- March 2010 "Information Security and Electronic Discovery" Presented by Dino Tsibouris and Mehmet Munur (Columbus, OH)
- January 2010 "Legal Update on Information Security" Presented by Dino Tsibouris and Mehmet Munur (Columbus, OH)
- January 2010 Columbus IAPP KnowledgeNet "International Data Transfers-Strategic Consideration for Sending or Receiving Data Internationally" Presented by Dino Tsibouris, Mehmet Munur, and Sarah Branam from OCLC (Columbus, OH)